Saturday, December 5, 2015

Two Years Ago

Two years ago I remember sitting at my parents' table.  I was talking to my older brothers.  I was feeling like I didn't know what to do next.  It felt like there were 3 major choices:  move out of the country and teach abroad for a while, save up to try IVF (since we'd gotten out of debt and could apply that money towards saving), or buy Tanner's late grandmother's house.

I talked to my brothers and got their input.  They all agreed that all 3 were good choices.

Shortly after that conversation I went out to dinner with some of my former roommates.  I talked to them about teaching abroad or buying that house.  One of my room mates said, "Could you just do both?"  When she first said that my initial thought was no.

Well... Turns out that we didn't have to pick one.  I applied for this job here in Thailand.  We put our house on the market and got an offer within 24 hours!  We made enough off the sale of our house that we had a down payment for our next house!  Tanner had to stay around in Arizona to finalize the sale of one house and purchase of the next house.  That meant that I spend 2 1/2 half (fairly tough) months here without him.  But it worked out!  And when we go home in about 6 months we have a new (to us) house to go home to.

We had been able to do 2 or the 3 major options.

When we got here I found out that the school owner had seen a fertility doctor quite recently.  She was able to facilitate an appointment and we were able to explore our third major option!  Since being here we have done a couple of (unsuccessful) rounds of IVF for a fraction of what it would have been in the states.

My brother recently reminded me of the conversation we had a couple years ago.  It's crazy how things have just worked out and we have been able to do the things we wanted!  Our 'new' house needs a lot of love, money and renovations.  We didn't get pregnant doing IVF.   We will have to find new jobs (and just generally figure out what we want to do with our lives) when we get home.  We'll have to start paying bills again.  We will have to get another car.  We will be starting a new phase of our lives together.  There are lots of things to figure out when we get home, but hopefully things will continue to work out, just like they have these past 2 years.  On that note, if anyone knows of any great jobs that will have openings in May let us know :)

1 comment:

  1. It will be so fun to be able to hang out with you at your new house! Enjoy the rest of your time there and come home safely.

    ReplyDelete