Saturday, December 5, 2015

Loi Krathong: Lantern Festival 2015

Last year we spent the lantern festival up in Chiang Mai.  It was one of the most incredible things I have ever experienced!  It was also the sort of thing that you do once and call it good.  So this year we stuck around Phichit.  During the day we went to the temple with the students and they sent their water lanterns down the river.  We did that the day before the official lantern festival.

The next night we went to the temple with a couple friends.  Ink is a student at the school and we went with her and her mom and dad.  Tanner is friends with her parents since she was his English student for a while.  They took us to the festival and out to ice cream after.

First with his lantern that looked like a crown.
Lin's mom made her lantern out of salad ingredients!  They try to make sure that the lanterns are made out of things from nature (tons of banana leaves) or things the fish will eat.  The fish really loved the ones made of bread!  It was fun to watch them attack them.


Tunwa
Ioon



For some reason the young monks were collecting rocks and putting them in a bucket...


Mhew
I shared a seat with MeMe and Many on the bus.



The preschool kids didn't go to the temple, but when I got back to the school I saw this:











I loved that this big centerpiece/picture area was made of fruits and veggies.

I loved that they had lights on the temple.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I LOVE the photos of each child with their lantern! I love their faces, their unique personality that sometimes peeks or shines through (First! :) in the photo! And awesome lanterns too, I must say...so creative!

    ReplyDelete