Monday, December 28, 2015

Merry Christmas!



It didn't really felt like Christmas this year. It's hot. We didn't exchange presents. I worked. There isn't any family around. Nobody here celebrates it. I put up our little tree and banner. I listened to some Christmas music and baking. That has helped a tiny bit.
Christmas eve when Tanner got done tutoring we made tostadas for dinner. We had some frozen corn tortillas. Tanner fried them up and made them nice and crispy. He also turned on some Christmas music. It was actually an oldies Christmas station and some of the songs were so funny. As we ate we watched ELF and cut out some paper snowflakes. Tanner had made some snowflake garland with his tutoring kids. We added 6 more snowflakes.  


That evening Tanner started getting a belly ache. We watched a short video on LDS.org about Christ's birth. Then I read Luke 2. I posted a picture of our dinner on the family stream and my dad commented. Since I knew that meant he was awake I called him. We chatted for a bit and that was nice.
Christmas eve (well Christmas morning I guess) at 2 they started playing really loud music outside. It was so annoying and lasted until 8 this morning! It made it hard to sleep and I didn't like it! It wasn't good music either.  It sounded like they gave a 2 year old a xylophone and recorded 6 measures, out it on repeat, then overlaid the sound of a wind chime.  Even a pillow over my head couldn't block it out!
Christmas morning I called my family and FaceTime with them (it was their Christmas Eve). They were hanging out at the parents. My favorite part was that I got to make Avery smile. I moved my mouth closer and closer to the camera and made eating sounds. She thought that was funny. I also asked her where her eyes and hair were. Her favorite was when I asked where her belly button was! She pulled up her shirt to show. Then I pretend that I was going to show mind and that got a laugh from the family. 








After I'd been talking to them for a while Samantha texted and asked if we could Skype. We video chatted with Tanner's family for a while. I had to go teach for one class. I gave my last of 21 tests, got it graded, and turned in my test scores. It felt good to get that done. When I got back Tanner was still taking to his family so I joined in with that. We finished talking to them around noon. 

Tanner had tutoring at 4 when he got back his stomach was still bothering him.  Tanner rested and I made us breakfast burritos for dinner. Then we watched the most recent episode of Fixer Upper while we ate dinner. I seriously love that show! I've told Tanner lots of times that I have a life crush on Chip and Joanna Gaines.

Tanner laid down and I killed time until 10pm when I FaceTimed with my family as they opened presents.  That was a lot of fun!  I got to see everyone open their gifts.  My dad got my mom a smart car!  I even got a couple presents!  I wasn't expecting anything and that was a fun surprise.  I got a temple calendar with photos by Richard Webb.  I also got a solar over!  I'm excited to use that and add it to my emergency supplies.  After presents were all opened i went on a ride with my mom and dad in the new car.  My mom drove and my dad held the phone :)  It was fun to see the neighborhood again.  I was surprised that the houses, streets and landmarks we drove by made my feel really homesick.  I've gotten used to missing my family, food, a car, and luxuries we don't have here so those don't make my so homesick any more.  But driving around and seeing where I grew up and where Tanner and I lived when we were first married hit my unexpectedly hard.  It was bitter sweet.
A couple of my students gave me gifts. Ongry gave Tanner and me some chocolates. Pordee and Praewa gave us a couple candles, a calendar and some homemade brownies. 



This year the holidays were a lot different than I am used to, but I feel like we made some fun memories.  Merry Christmas!  I hope you guys had a great holiday.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. It was fun for me to share your Christmas with you doing FaceTime and reading this blog. We will look forward to next Christmas all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda also has a life crush on the Gaines!
    We enjoyed talking to you on Christmas. I look forward to the next one when you'll be here.

    ReplyDelete