Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Cooking Class


Our last full day we decided to take a cooking class.  It ended up being our favorite activity of the week!  We went with a company called Siam Rice.  It's run by a husband and wife and they do a great job.  They offer 1/2 day and full day courses.  We chose the full day course.  Their vehicle came and picked us up at 9:00am.  We started with a trip to the local market.  They talked to us about buying fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs.  They showed us a lot of herbs and veggies; I was familiar with and some of them.  It was fun guessing what each thing was as he showed us, then passed them around for us to touch and smell.  After the trip to the market we headed to cook!  First they let us pick which dishes we wanted to make.  We each got to choose one dish from each of the 6 courses.  We made sure to pick different items in most areas so we could learn more dishes.  We learned how to make soup, noodles, appetizers, a curry (including making the paste from scratch), a main dish, and dessert.









Spring rolls

Yellow Curry paste

Pad Thai

For my noodle dish I cooked Drunken Noodles.  It involves a whole lot of fire in the pan.  If I can, I'll try to add a video if that.

Soup

Cashew Chicken



The BEST Mango with Sticky rice I have ever had!


At the end they taught us to carve a carrot.  The instructor's is in the middle, Tanner's is on the left and mine is on the right.





3 comments:

  1. Carrot carving masters! Those look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cooking class is a genius idea when traveling! And drunken noodles is one of my favorite dishes! You'll have to teach me some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing. Please send me the recipes and your carrot carving talents!

    ReplyDelete