Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Family in Thailand: Chiang Mai Day 1

Thursday morning we were up early.  Tanner and I stayed in a hotel half a block from my family.  We headed over about 6 that morning.  Most of them were in the lobby when we got there.  It was so fun to see Annie, my mom, dad and Bryce after a year and a half.  I also got to see Wesley for the first time in over two years!  There were lots of hugs and smiles all around! WE ate breakfast with them at their hotel and headed to the airport at 6:30.   We found a Krispy Kreme at the airport and had breakfast dessert (that's a thing, right...?)








In my family we thing it's funny to pluralize things strangely, like adding an 's' in an unusual place.  We got a kick out of this 'mixed fruits juice'.





They have random photo areas in Thailand.  This one was in the Chiang Mai airport:




From the airport we went to our hostel.  It was too early to check in, but we dropped off our bags.  Then the driver from the cooking class picked us up.  Tanner and Wesley stood on the back of the truck as we rode.  My mom did too, but that was short lived.



We went to the market for a tour and lesson about the fresh herbs and spices we would be using.  





Fried bugs



My family loved seeing all the new fruits and vegetables.  Sometimes I forget that I'm so used to things that are different.  It's nice to be with a fresh set of eyes to be reminded of the things that are different here.

From the market we went to the cooking class where we spent the day until 2:00.  We cooked and ate and cooked and ate.  Then we cooked and ate some more.  We made 6 courses!  Since Tanner and I have been to the class so many times, the owners sad they would do a couple new dishes with us.  We made 'money bags' instead of egg rolls and we made some spring rolls with a homemade dipping sauce.



The money bags.  Soooo good!


Spring rolls.  I think I'll make these when I get home but throw in cucumbers, avacado (something they don't have here) and peppered turkey.






Nancy and Pot, the school owners and now friends

When we were done at the cooking class we took our full bellies to the Tiger Kingdom.  Annie, Wesley and Bryce paid to go in with the tigers.  Tanner, my mom, dad and I watched from afar.


The only tiger Tanner got a picture with.



After that we were tired and ready to relax for a bit.  We checked in at the hostel and relaxed for about an hour and a half.
View from the hostel


After that we were off to the night market.  We got fresh fruit smoothies and shopped (Bryce did a LOT of shopping and that was really for to watch).






Tanner and I got Subway (such a treat for us!) for dinner around 11:00 then we headed back to the hostel.  It was a full, busy day and we all really enjoyed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment