Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Chiang Mai

On the days we had off due to Buddhist Lent the girls and I went up to Chang Mai.  I love it up there!!!  We left Friday after school and took a [miserable] night bus.  We were there Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and came home Tuesday.  


At the bus station waiting to leave.  

Our bus got in around 6am and since we needed to kill some time before checking into our hostel
 we ate at McDonalds.  I love that Ronald is so culturally aware!

The hostel where we stayed was quite an authentic experience.  It was a wood house build on stilts.  The owner and her daughter lived down stairs.  There were 4 rooms upstairs that she rents out.  We were in 2 of those rooms with 1 other girl.  We slept in mats on the floor, under mosquito nets.  








The shared bathrooms were outside.  The owner was really nice.  She even took us up to a waterfall one afternoon (more on that later).  

A foreigner I met recommended a restaurant called Salsa Kitchen.  We went one of the nights.  It. was. amazing!  I miss mexican food more than almost anything else!  The amazing thing is that it's not just 'Thai good', it's American good.  I would eat there at home.  (When I went back to Chiang Mai with Tanner we ate there twice).  The chicken quesadillas and chicken enchiladas are especially tasty. 



Speaking of food, we also got mexican food at Loco Elvis.  It was pretty good, but nothing compared to Salsa Kitchen.








We stumbled upon an evening market our first night there.  I saw lots of squid and fish (which I did NOT eat) and mango with sticky rice (which I gobbled down and loved).





You may be noticing a pattern which I have recognized.  I love food.  I've discovered that that's a big thing for me--especially mexican food.  I may have shed a few tears yesterday thinking about bean and cheese burritos from Mangoes and El Charro.  I day dream about the next time I can go to Chiang Mai and what I'll eat while I'm there!

I also got to play with tigers and ride elephants on my trip.  Details soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment