Monday, August 18, 2014

Bhuddist Lent


      Monk Day! July 11th marked the beginning of Bhuddist Lent.  That meant that 1) We got 2 days off of school! 2) the monks would stay in the temples and not leave, and 3) We had a celebration at school and the students and parents donated food so they would have food while they were in the temple.   Usually they go out every morning and collect food offerings from people’s houses.  I was expecting a small-ish contribution from the school kids and their families.  They brought so much food!!  Nine monks came, sang and prayed, and collected the food.  

         
      








     
      On a side note, monks aren’t supposed to touch women or be touched by women.  It will most likely result in them having to quit being a monk.  I am so scared I am going to get too close and touch one and have to live with the guilt of getting him kicked out.  On those particular day I felt like one of them might bump into a woman, but to my knowledge that did not happen.  I really like getting to be part of celebrations and cultural events.  I feel like that’s a big difference between traveling to a country and living in a country.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, big difference. I would have been so nervous to bump one too! -Mandi

    ReplyDelete