Sunday, June 15, 2014

Outdoor BBQ


One of the teachers finished working here and we went out to dinner to celebrate.  We went out to an outdoor BBQ/hot pot.  Each table had a grill/pot in the center.  The grill is a circle about 12” in diameter.  The middle 5”or so are a pot to boil things.  The outer ring is to BBQ meat. 



Fon and Yok. Fon teaches one of the kindergarden classes and Fon is a secretary/IT person.

It was a buffet so you just get whatever you’d like and throw it in the pot of on the grill to cook.  Since you cook everything at your table there was a LOT of raw meat.  It’s an outdoor restaurant.  It’s hot and there are lots of bugs, but that it just how Thailand it.  They had some little fans rotating above the meat with a bit of plastic tied on to keep bug off.  That helped a bit.  They had a lot of veggies and I liked those.  I ate mostly chicken and veggies with some beef, pork, and fish.  They eat A LOT of pork here.  A LOT, a lot!  Most days our lunch and dinner contain pork.  In addition to things you could cook at your table they had some fresh fruit, French fries, eggrolls and such.  I had a few pieces of watermelon, a little plate of hard, cold French fries, and an egg roll.  I ate enough food to get full and didn’t get sick, so I count that as a win. 



The red plastic that's hanging down is what was attached to the fan.



It seems like almost everyone here loves squid.  



It was a buffet so you just get whatever you’d like and throw it in the pot of on the grill to cook.  Since you cook everything at your table there was a LOT of raw meat.  It’s an outdoor restaurant.  It’s hot and there are lots of bugs, but that it just how Thailand it.  They had some little fans rotating above the meat with a bit of plastic tied on to keep bug off.  That helped a bit.  They had a lot of veggies and I liked those.  I ate mostly chicken and veggies with some beef, pork, and fish.  They eat A LOT of pork here.  A LOT, a lot!  Most days our lunch and dinner contain pork.  In addition to things you could cook at your table they had some fresh fruit, French fries, egg rolls and such.  I had a few pieces of watermelon, a little plate of hard, cold French fries, and an egg roll.  I ate enough food to get full and didn’t get sick, so I count that as a win. 

After we finished eating we sat and talked for a while.  Our leftover food was sitting on the table.  It was getting dark by this time so the bugs were attracted to the lights above and around the tables.  There were bugs flying all over the place and crawling over our food.  That’s just normal and it didn’t seem to bother anyone other than me.  I’m getting used to having bugs around, but I still don’t like it.


One of the other teachers wanted to get a picture with me.  She speaks almost no English and wanted Tang to ask me if I’d take a picture with her.  Tang told her that she needed to ask me if she wanted a picture.  The other Thai teachers (who speak more English than her, but not a whole lot) told her that she needed to say, “Do you want some action?”  She ran it by Tang and Tang let her know that that was NOT the right way to ask me.  Some of the Thai teachers thought that’s what she was supposed to ask, a couple of them knew it was wrong and were being silly. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the "do you want some action?" request. Too funny! I hope you know that you are making me want to go to Thailand something fierce with all of these pictures. It seems like such an adventure!

    ReplyDelete