Monday, June 2, 2014

BIRTHDAY!

I wrote this more than a week ago, but I was waiting to get pictures form a friend.  So here you go!

I turned the big 2-8 this week!  In my mind I know that 28 isn't very old.  But when I think about being here with 18, 20, and 22 year-olds, or thinking about graduating HS 10 years ago... Then I start to feel a little bit old.  Plus 28 feels really close to 30 and that always felt like it was so far away... but it'll be here in a flash.  Anyways...  You're not here to hear me blab on and on about getting old!

It was kind of fun to have my birthday here.  Thailand is 14 hours ahead of AZ so it was almost like my birthday was 2 days long.  And I loved it!

The kids sang happy birthday to me in class.  They sing it differently here (no, I don't mean in a different language...) they hold the first syllable of 'birthday' for 3 counts instead of 1 count.  They also don't sing "happy birthday dear _____" they just sing "happy birthday to you" one more time.  When I told Tang and the kids that we put the name in the song they thought that warranted singing it again!  I think I was sung to more on this birthday than any other one.  My brother Brad even iMessaged a voice recording of him singing to me in an opera voice.  It was so great!

I invited the volunteers to join me for a birthday dinner.  There is a hot pot restaurant across the street from Tesco that I wanted to try.  They all jumped at the opportunity to get out and eat somewhere new.  Prior to my birthday I had only even eaten at one hot pot restaurant and that was almost 10 years ago in China.  I just remember it being so so good.  This one was called MK.



(Our veggie plate.  I tried everything!)


(Megan, Me, and Karlie.  I'm holding a white ear mushroom and it was delicious and tender!) 


(Divine watermelon smoothie)




(During dinner.  That duck is the napkin dispenser.)

Nobody spoke English so we just looked at the menu and tried to figure out what would be good.  Here the waiters stay at your table until you order.  If you aren't ready they just stand and wait for you to be ready.  By pointing and using hand gestures we figured out that two vegetable platters would be a good amount.  The plates had lettuce, cabbage, 4 kinds of mushrooms, tofu, fried tofu, corn, clear noodles, greens, gypsum, green onions, _____.  I also ordered a watermelon slushy (which was divine) and some chicken.  They had two hot plates build into our table with pots of boiling broth.  We dumped all out food in there and let it cook.  We felt like we were having a grand adventure because we didn't know 1) how long to cook it, 2) if we were supposed to put it all in at once, and 3) what all the veggies on the plate were...  We ended putting everything in at once and letting it cook until it looked cooked.  They brought us some sauce that was divine!  We also ordered some extra noodles.  So when it looked done we put noodles in our bowls then dished up from the hot put and enjoyed our meal with the sauce.  It was filling and for the 7 of us (with about half of us ordering smoothies) the total came to around $32!  I could get used to that!



Ake told the girls that if they told them it was my birthday they would make a big deal out of it.  That they did!


They asked for an ID to verify that it really was my birthday.  When we were done with our food they brought out a free banana split.  I had them bring a bunch of spoons so we could share.  I thought that was going to be it (and I was perfectly happy with that).  About 1 minute later they brought out a big poster that said happy birthday and little signs for each of us to hold.  We got a picture and they took one as well.  They light the candles and I make a wish (no, I will not tell you what I wished for!) I then thought that was it.  Just a few seconds later they played a techno, Thai version of Happy Birthday over the loud speaker!  Everyone in the restaurant was looking around so I put my hand in the air and pointed to myself.  It was a fun time.  As we were leaving they brought a framed picture out for me!








Tang had said that she'd meet us at Swensens and treat us all to birthday ice cream.  I gave her a call and let her know we were done.  The girls were so sweet and paid for my food!  We then headed over for ice cream.

I got the birthday ice cream at Swensens.  You can swap out the ice cream flavors on any dessert.  I got almond praline, chocolate brownie, and rocky road with hot fudge and caramel.  It was really good and very rich.  They sang to me there too and took a picture.  Their camera was having a had time and they took 4 pictures and gave us the best one.



We ended our outing with a little bit of shopping at Tesco.  When I got home I Skyped with my Dad for a few minutes while he was at work and got to see his job site.  They I video chatted with my mom and sister as they were eating breakfast.  I love talking to my family!  They then sang happy birthday to me (I told you there was a lot of singing).


While I was talking to them there was a knock on my door.  I opened it to find 4 of the Thai teachers with a cake!  They sang to me and I tried to blow out the trick candles for about 5 minutes.  I was going to lick my fingers and put them out, but 1) that scares me and 2) licking your fingers and using your spit for things is frowned upon over here. [I did that when passing out homework papers in class and the kids freaked.out.]  So I finally got all but 4 out and they put the rest under water.

One of those girls posted this picture on FB.  It's not the best, but oh well!


Then I ended the night by Skyping with my sweetheart.  It was a really great birthday and will be really memorable.  Here's to 28!

3 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! What a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat!! Sounds like a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun!!! Happy belated birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete