Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Today's post brought to you by food... and drinks...


Today mainly consisted of sitting in my room at my desk.  I spend a big chunk of time lesson planning and curriculum mapping.  It I had to chose a picture to represent my day it’d be this:



See that food there? It was delivered to my door by the school cook!  The rest of the staff returned today.  I got to meet the Thai teachers, the receptionist, and… the cook!  She knocked on my door and delivered lunch and dinner.  I could really get used to that!  (Brace yourself… the pictures in today’s post will mostly contain food and drinks.)  That was lunch and it was rice, broccoli and chicken with a fried egg.

I also got to Skype with Tanner today.  I am SO VERY grateful for technology.  That was just what I needed this morning.  Also, enjoy being close to your spouses and loved ones!

I was planning on riding my bike into town and exploring a little bit since I now have a map and access to a bike.  The weather, however, had a different idea.  It got crazy windy and blew in a little storm.  The good news it that it smelled delightful and brought the temperature down slightly.  When I went outside to enjoy the rain, the weather was almost nice.

There is a lizard in my room.  He makes clicking noises every once in a while.  The first night, before I knew what it was, I was a little thrown off.  Now I’m mostly used to it.

According to Tang I look like a different person every day.  She said that today it was because my hair was up.  That’s how I had my hair the day before yesterday though…  I was wearing my glasses today, so maybe that was a contributing factor.

Want to know more about the food and drinks I enjoyed today? I’d be happy to share!



In China I used to buy Pocky.  They are cracker/cookies covered in chocolate or strawberry coating.  I really liked them  These are made by the same company.  The front describes them as a "biscuit stick with chocolate flavor confectionary.  They were tasty and I can certainly see myself getting them again.  I was skyping with Tanner while eating them and he's seen commercials for Pocky.  He share these two with me.  Sort of strange, but catchy.


Dinner was this fried rice with tomato, egg, onion, and pork. Cucumbers on the side.


Tong got this drink for me around the hottest part of the day and it was delightful!  It's a blended ice drink.  It was like chocolate milk blended with ice.  It was very good!  Apparently the volunteers in the past have ordered them everyday.  She shop doesn't typically deliver the drinks, but since the volunteers got so many of them so frequently they deliver exclusively to this school!



Fresh coconut water!  It also had tasty, fresh coconut strips in there.  I've had canned coconut water and didn't like it.  This was really good though


My feet are swollen and I don’t like it one bit! They are currently elevated and I think that’ll help.  My body isn’t used to this weather… I’ll be glad when it adjusts a little more.

So Pichit, it known as the land of the crocodiles.  I had Tang tell me the story/folk tale behind that yeaterday.  It goes a little something like this:

Once there was an old man and an old woman who bought a pet crocodile who they named Chalawan.  Before too ling he outgrew the pond in their yard and they had to find him a bigger, more suitable home.  They moved him to a lovely underwater cave.  Everyday the couple would come and feel their pet.  One day when they went to take him food he gobbled both of them right up!  Shortly thereafter the crocodile discovered that his underwater cave turned him into human form, but only when he was underwater.  Well, he decided that he was lonely, so he sent ashore to find himself a woman!  He snatched up a beautiful woman and returned to his cave and made her his wife.  The father was outraged, naturally, and wanted his daughter(s) back.  He offered a reward to anyone who would free her.  Finally a young man named Kraithong killed that Chalawan with a magic spear and freed the woman!  As a reward I think he got some gold and the woman.  The moral of that story?  I have no idea!  Stay away from crocodiles? Always keep a magic spear handy?  Take a self defense class so you can defend yourself from crocodile men?

3 comments:

  1. Oh the happiness from a cool drink! I've never enjoyed coconut water a ton, but yours sounds lovely! I'm interested in what sort of curriculum one plans for children's English classes. Where do you start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lindsey! It's neat to hear the whole story or Phichit. I'm glad there's not really crocodiles. :) The foods sound interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am loving your posts. It' so fun to follow along with your awesome adventure. Right after Shelene got to Phichit, there was a terrible rain storm that flooded the streets. The teachers found out that the flooding washed some crocodiles out of the croc park and into the river. Shelene was like nbd while I was having a heart attack! They are so lucky to have you and I know you'll love teaching these sweet children. p.s. stay out of the river or take a magic spear. ;)

    ReplyDelete